Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Rare Bangabandhu memento for PM


Berlin, Oct 24 — Attendees of a business seminar at Hotel Adlon in Berlin may have walked in expecting new opportunities in investment to reveal themselves.

But they were caught by surprise by the heart-touching scene that ensued there.

Near the end of the seminar organised by Bangladesh–Germany Chamber of Commerce and Industry, the anchor announced that they have a surprise in store for the guest, prime minister Sheikh Hasina, who is in Germany for the World Health Summit 2011.

Anwar Ali, an expatriate who worked in the Bangladesh embassy in Berlin from 1972 to 2006, handed her a rare photograph of the Father of The Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.

"I bought lunch for Bangabandhu with my own hands at Frankfurt Airport in 1972. I tested the food before giving it to him.

"I will never forget him," he said and broke into tears. Hasina left her seat and rushed to the stage. Anwar touched her feet and said, "Sister, I pray for you every day. No harm will ever come to you."

The prime minister broke down in tears herself.

A choked-up Hasina spoke to the audience, who were mostly expatriate Bangladeshis.

"When my father was killed my husband was in Karlsruhe University. Anwar Ali drove us to Karlsruhe from Bonn and stayed with us for three days.

"Germany was the first country for us as refugees," she added.

Hasina turned to Anwar and said, "It is because of all this love and the people like you that I dare to brave all the odds."

"You have given me a very precious gift, and I thank you," she said.

Anwar told journalists the photograph, which showed Bangabandhu sitting at the back of a car and Anwar driving, was taken around June or July, 1972.
From;www.bdnews24.com

No comments:

Post a Comment